Interstate moving is a complex process. The worries of passing borders and long distance multiply all the worries of a regular relocation. Even if you have a few moves like this behind you, there will always be new things that can happen. Some interstate movers in Northern Virginia know it all, and they can help you. But even with help, you could and should always expand your knowledge. If that is your goal, you are in the right place to learn some facts about interstate moving.
What are some things that you should know about interstate moving?
An interstate move is a relocation between two states, which is usually also categorized as a long distance move if its distance is longer than 400 miles. Moving within two states almost always passes this distance, so people often confuse these two terms. Helix Transfer & Storage Northern VA can help you with both, so don’t hesitate to contact us and also learn some facts about interstate moving along the way. Some facts that might interest you are:
- Interstate moving prices vary greatly
- Weather can be unpredictable
- Moving insurance can be a good idea
Prices vary greatly
The recent gas price surges have impacted everything, in a bad way. Everything is more expensive, whereas the payments have stayed the same. This has also greatly impacted the price of the services that some long distance movers Northern Virginia, but they are still affordable compared to their quality. You can expect to pay $4000-$5000 for a move that traverses states. And the more services you want to get, the more you will have to pay.
Weather can be unpredictable
Depending on your starting and final destination you will get different weather conditions. If you are moving during the warmer part of the year, there won’t be many fluctuations in the weather, apart from occasional rain. But a move during the colder season brings more challenges. States like Colorado, Alaska, Michigan, and others get snowfall, and it brings trouble to the streets. Arrival times get delayed often, and traffic jams are a normal occurrence. Apart from the road itself, your items will also be exposed to greater risks. Snow and temperature fluctuations can easily damage fragile items through cardboard boxes, so getting a packing service Northern Virginia to protect items into sturdy plastic bins might be a better idea.
Moving insurance is a good idea
Insurance is often a good investment, but it is always a brilliant investment when moving. You can never know what will happen, and it is better to be safe. You have different options at your disposal:
- Basic carrier liability – this insurance is always included in the price when transporting items, but it gives you a minimal amount of coverage when moving
- Declared value protection – mid-level coverage, where the customer itself declared the worth of the items that they transport
- Full replacement liability – the best option, where you will get the total cash value for any damaged or lost items
- Extraordinary valuable items – these items are the ones valued at $100 or more per pound, and the ones that are better transported in your vehicle. Items like antiques, art pieces, computer equipment, and jewelry fit into this category but keep in mind that movers might not transport some of them.
Moves like this are full of interesting facts about interstate moving. While you can browse all you want, some you won’t be able to learn until you decide to do it. Experience is the best teacher, and you will get to see a lot of different things on the road. Good luck!
Helix was great!!
Helix was great!! We moved from VA to PA and they handled everything efficiently and effectively. We had some issues with freight elevators at both our old and new apartments and they were able to handle it well.